"Piehole" in Midwestern means "mouth," as in "Shut your piehole." Preferably we shut it on some tasty home cooking. We love to grow, market, buy, cook, bake and grill so we can feed our faces, chow down, pig out, scarf & whatnot. I'm a born Midwestern home cook posting foods and recipes that show up in front of me, because like all Midwesterners I eat what's put in front of me. Pull up a chair. What can I get you?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Vegetarian "Chicken Soup" Base Recipe: Make Your Own

Boiling a whole chicken for two hours just to get broth--no. Buying premade chicken broth in cans or boxes is expensive; it's mostly water anyway. Bouillon cubes have sodium off the charts and other yuck. So I make my own all-natural chicken broth powder, have made it for years, cheaply. Good for all uses.

Meatless Chicken Soup Base

(makes 1.5 cups)

1-1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
3 Tablespoons of onion powder
2-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
2-1/2 teaspoons of granulated garlic or garlic powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Blend all ingredients in a dry blender.
Use 1 Tablespoon of soup base per cup of water. I keep it in a shaker that used to hold Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Piehole loves your comments!